This weeks bag gives you the opportunity to enjoy some of the colorful flavors of Mexico! This fennel salad is packed with flavors and textures of fresh oranges and grapefruit paired with bright tasting cilantro in this sweet and tangy honey cilantro dressing. This week learn how to make citrus segments, making oranges and grapefruits meat a delicate treat.
Fennel & Citrus Salad with Cilantro Honey Dressing
- 1 Valencia orange, cut into segments and quartered (see tutorial below!)
- 1 Ruby Red Texas grapefruit, cut into segments and quartered
- 1/2 head of fennel, thin sliced
- 1 avocado, meat cut into cubes
- 1 stalk of celery, thin sliced
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1/4 cup of olive oil or coconut oil (liquid, melted)
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- 2 tablespoons cilantro chopped fine
- pinch of salt
Add all of your sliced fruits and vegetables in a large mixing bowl. In another small bowl add the lime juice, oil, honey, and cilantro and whisk together until combined. Season with salt to taste. pour over all of the fennel salad in the other bowl and toss to coat. Dollop the finished salad on a Boston Bibb lettuce leaf and enjoy!
How to: make citrus segments
With a very sharp chef’s knife or long serrated knife do a curved cut from top to bottom on your citrus.
Repeat this cut all the way around the fruit until all the peeling is gone. Make sure to cut as much as the pith (the white stuff) off with each cut. The pith is bitter and will change the flavor of your fruit.
slice your citrus into thin slices, then quarter the slices for the salad. Leave one slice for garnish.