The shells of these tacos are made from tortillas cut with a round cookie cutter and fried crisp and dusted with cinnamon sugar. They only take about 20 seconds each to make and can be made days ahead of time.
If you are having a party, you can keep the filling warm in a small slow cooker with the shells beside and people can fill them as they like or set a mini muffin tin upside down and cover it with a pretty cloth napkin as a holder, works perfectly!
- 6 large Flour Tortillas
- Oil for frying (Coconut Oil, Safflower Oil, Sunflower oil or Peanut Oil)
- ⅔ cup organic sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2lb apples
- 1½ tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons organic brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- ½ cup water (divided)
- Whipped Heavy Cream with Simple Syrup
- Caramel sauce (store bought or homemade)
- Using a 3.5 circle cutter to cut out circles from your tortillas. You should get about 5 from each tortilla. (You can use any size cutter but this was the perfect size for a 2-3 bite taco).
- Combine sugar & cinnamon in a bowl and set aside. Heat about 1½” of oil in a pan on the stove over medium heat. Use a little scrap of tortilla to put in the oil and make sure it’s good & bubbly.
- Using tongs, place one circle in the oil for about 5 seconds. Flip it over and fold it in half holding it folded for about 5 seconds or until browned. Flip over and fry the other side until crispy. Immediately remove from the oil giving it a little shake and place into the cinnamon sugar.
- Set on a pan to cool. You can leave these at room temperature for up to 3 days.
- Peel and dice apples. Toss with lemon juice.
- Over medium heat stir together butter, chopped apples, cinnamon and brown sugar. Add about ¼ cup water and let cook on medium heat for about 4 minutes. Stir 1 teaspoon cornstarch into remaining water and add to pan. Continue cooking until most of the liquid is gone and apples are soft.
Spoon in the filling as little or as much as you would like 😉 Feel free to top with Whipped Cream and drizzle with some Caramel Sauce! Enjoy these Easy As Pie Taco Treats!!!